The Student Emergency Fund (SEF) is a joint venture between the Division of Student Affairs and Scholarships and Student Aid. The SEF assists Carolina students by providing financial support when they need assistance with unexpected emergency expenses surrounding situations such as accidents, illness, death of a family member, fire damage or need for temporary housing. Students may apply for funds when they have exhausted all other resources. This funding is not intended to replace or supplement existing financial aid and does not have to be repaid.
(this list is not exhaustive):
• Medications and other costs related to medical care
• Books and other essential academic expenses
• Safety needs (i.e. changing a lock)
• Replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, theft, or natural disaster
• Travel costs related to a death or illness in the immediate family
• Tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs
• Non-essential utilities (i.e. cable), household, or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
• Parking tickets
• Costs for entertainment, recreation, non-emergency travel or other non-essential expenses
• Applicants must have a financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other unexpected critical incident.
• Applicants must be currently enrolled students.
• All other resources, including emergency loans through Scholarships and Student Aid must have been considered and are insufficient, unavailable, or not available in a timely manner.
• Applicants must complete all questions in full and submit supporting documentation.
Students who are in need of emergency financial assistance may submit an application and supporting documentation to the Office of the Dean of Students. The Emergency Fund Committee, made up of staff members from both the Office of the Dean of Students and Scholarships and Student Aid reviews the submitted applications and determines the appropriate funding amount. Funds distributed do not generally exceed $500. The committee will review applications requesting in excess of $500 for unique and unusual circumstances of emergency financial need. Applicants may be required to meet with a staff member in the Office of the Dean of Students to discuss their application. If you are currently receiving financial aid, please be aware that receiving funding from the Emergency Fund may affect your future aid packages. For information on the application please contact our office at (919) 966-4042.
The number of students who can be served by the Student Emergency Fund is subject to the availability of funds. The fund must be sustained by continual contributions from alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends of the University.
To contribute to the Student Emergency Fund please go to http://studentaffairs.unc.edu/giving/index.html and click on make a gift in the third paragraph. When the next screen opens then should select Student Emergency Fund from the drop down box.